About The Game
COMPOSITION OF AFRINAISSANCE GAME
AFRINAISSANCE is a game of flash cards and pieces.
- A picture of any great historical, political or social figure (Harriet Tubman, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Malcolm X, Gamal Abdel Nasser, Martin Luther King, Jr., Marcus Garvey, Frederick de Klerk, Ibrahim Njoya, Menelik II, Shaka Zulu, Cetewayo, Moshweshwe, Yaa Asante Waa, Osei Tutu, Kofi Annan, Michael Manley, Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict XVI, Ralph Bunche, Murtala Mohammed, Muammar Gaddafi, Benedita da Silva, etc.);
- A picture of a great athlete (Thobela Dingaan, Kirsty Coventry, Steve Mokone, Tiger Woods, Pele, Ronaldihno, Zinadine Zidan, Eusebio da Silva, Meseret Defar, Muhammad Ali, Stephen Keshi, Michael Jordan, Jackie Robinson, Jesse Owens, Wilma Rudolf, Florence Kersey Joyner, Daley Thompson, Edwin Moses, Ruud Gullit, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roger Milla, J.J. Okocha, Alan Cole “Skilly,” Samuel Etoo Fils, Usain Bolt, Anderson Silva, Herb Carnegie, etc.)
- A picture of a great cultural icon (Louis Armstrong, Whoopi Goldberg, Hugh Masekela, Bob Marley, Rihana, Oscar Peterson, Dorothy Masuka, Angelique Kidjo, Rachel Tchoungi, Michael Jackson, Steve Wonder, Alioune Diop, Mestre Bimba, Tilahun Gessesse, etc.)
- A picture of any notorious figure ( Idi Amin, Macias Nguema, Charles Taylor, Seseko Mobutu, Joseph Kony, Jonas Savimbi, Emperor Bokassa, Foday Sankoh, John Muhammad, etc.)
- A picture of a great scholar, inventor, philosopher, or business icon (George Washington Carver, Jan Matzliger, Cheikh Anta Diop, Christian Barnaard, Charles Drew, Percy Julian, Arthur Lewis, Cheick Modibo Diarra, Wole Soyinka, Leopold Sedar Senghor, Robert L. Johnson, CJ Walker, Kimora Lee, Sean Combs, Jay-Z, Tokyo Sekwale, Mo Ibrahim, Oprah Winfrey, Naguib Mafouz, Max Theiler, Patricia Bath, Mark Dean, Lewis Howard Latimer, Harry Oppenheimer, Noah Samara, Mohammed Al Amoudi, Dinaw Mengestu, etc.)
- A picture of an important flag, an emblem, a symbol or monument ( Star and Stripes, UN Flag, International Olympic Flag, the Great Pyramids of Giza, The White House, The Slave House, Elmina Castle, the Black Star, Voortrekker Monument, Union Buildings, the Obelisk of Axum, etc.)
- A famous quote, an anthem (Nkosi sikel iafrika), a painting, photograph, band (the Wailers, the Jackson5, les têtes brulées, Xalam, the Temptations, the Supremes, etc.), choral group (Ladysmith Black Mambazo, the Blind Boys of Alabama, etc.), landmark, cartoon, comic hero, renowned product, writing, sign, statue, currency, sculpture, city, well-known ethnic group (Masai), Corps (Swiss Guards), an endangered, a rare or an extinct animal, events (9/11 Attack, March on Washington, Jonestown Massacre, Rwandan genocide, Soweto Uprising, Inauguration of Barack Obama, the Release of Nelson Mandela, the Sharpeville Shootings, the Million Man March, etc.)
Face 2: 4 questions and answers based on Face 1 (Nelson Mandela)
a. Identify the man on the card?
- Nelson Mandela
- b. What is his nationality?
c. To which South African political party does he belong?
d. How many years did he spend in prison?
In addition to the cards, there are pieces. There are 2 kinds of pieces: ordinary piece (OP); and crown piece (CP). There are 120 OPs (black pawn pieces) and 80 CPs (cream queen pieces).